18 Best Abandoned Rhode Island Places (Spots and Structures)

Table of Contents

Looking for the best abandoned spots in Rhode Island? We got you! This blog post is a compilation of the coolest (and creepiest) abandoned spots and structures in the Ocean State. Some are open to the public and others are very off-limits. Be sure to do research before visiting any of these spots to be sure whether or not you can explore them. As always be safe, leave just footsteps, and have fun! Also, let us know in the comments your favorite abandoned places in Rhode Island!

Battery 213 in Beavertail State Park

The abandoned Battery 213 in Beavertail State Park in Jamestown, Rhode Island

Town: Jamestown
Directions: HERE

Battery 213 is an abandoned World War II coastal gun battery located in Beavertail State Park in Jamestown, Rhode Island. Construction of the battery started on February 19, 1942, and was completed on June 30, 1943. The structure was then transferred to the Coast Artillery on December 23, 1943, for $239,623.00. It became part of Fort Burnside. It was designed and built as part of the plan to replace obsolete Endicott Period Batteries. 87 World War II batteries were planned, but only 45 were completed. Many didn’t finish until after the war.

Battery 213 featured a 175 foot long reinforced concrete magazine which was home to shell rooms, powder rooms, meeting rooms, and general storage rooms. The magazine was used to supply the two 6-inch M1905 rapid-fire guns which were mounted at either end of the magazine.

Battery 213 was abandoned following WW2 in 1948. The battery is easy to access as it stands just off the west side of Beavertail Road. The concrete gun pads remain on either end of the magazine and the magazine still stands under a pile of earth.

Learn more about Battery 213 in Beavertail State Park

Battery Crawford at Fort Mansfield

The abandoned Battery Crawford at Fort Mansfield in Watch Hill, Rhode Island

Town: Watch Hill
Directions: HERE

Battery Crawford is an abandoned coastal gun battery in Watch Hill, Rhode Island at Napatree Point. This coastal gun battery was one of three gun batteries on Fort Mansfield. Construction on Battery Wooster began in 1898 and was completed in 1900. Following its completion, it was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use. It was put into duty on February 18, 1901. The government spent $11,600 to build this reinforced concrete battery. It was equipped with two 5″ M1897 guns mounted on M1896 Balanced pillar carriages. The guns were situated on the second floor of the structure and the magazines were stored on the first floor. To transport shells up to the guns, Taylor-Raymond shell hoists were utilized.

In 1907, battle simulations were undertaken to gauge the fort’s durability. Regrettably, these simulations revealed the fort’s terrible weakness. It was discovered that the fort lacked full coverage because of a “dead angle.” The fort was actually so weak that a group of attackers could take it with only small-arm weapons if they hid in the dead angle. As a result, one of the observers for the simulation said, “I believe I could capture Fort Mansfield with a fleet of coal barges, outfitted with 6-inch rapid-fire weapons.” In 1909, the fort was given caretaker status after these discoveries led to its removal from the list of operational coastal artillery stations. It was officially abandoned in 1917 and today can be found at the end of the beach at the Napatree Point Conservation Area.

Learn more about Battery Crawford at Fort Mansfield

Battery Reilly at Fort Adams State Park

The abandoned Battery Reilly at Fort Adams State Park in Newport, Rhode Island

Town: Newport
Directions: HERE

Battery Reilly is a reinforced concrete coastal gun battery located on Fort Adams in Newport, Rhode Island. The battery was built during the Endicott Period when the United States sought to increase its coastal defenses in case of a potential attack. Newport Harbor was a key place to protect, hence the establishment of Battery Reilly. Construction on this coastal gun battery began in April of 1898 and it was completed in September of 1899. The Coast Artillery acquired the battery and put it into service on June 15, 1899.

This was a pretty standard dual gun battery with two stories. On the upper level of the building was where the two guns were mounted. Battery Reilly was equipped with two 10-inch M1888MII guns mounted on M1896 Disappearing carriages. These guns were capable of firing a 320 pound projectile over 6 miles.

When World War 1 began, the United States quickly scrambled to held its overseas allies in all possible ways. One impactful action was to remove guns from U.S. coastal gun batteries and ship these overseas. Orders for the two guns at Battery Reilly to be shipped abroad were received on August 24, 1917. After this order came in, the guns were removed and prepped to be shipped. In 1918, the guns were awaiting shipment at a nearby dock. Battery Reilly was never rearmed, so it was officially decommissioned and abandoned after 1920. Today, the old abandoned battery can be found in Fort Adams State Park.

Learn more about Battery Reilly at Fort Adams State Park

Battery Wooster at Fort Mansfield

The abandoned Battery Wooster at Fort Mansfield in Watch Hill, Rhode Island

Town: Watch Hill
Directions: HERE

Battery Wooster is an abandoned coastal gun battery in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. This coastal gun battery was one of three gun batteries on Fort Mansfield.

Construction on Battery Wooster began in 1898 and was completed on July 1, 1900. Following its completion, it was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use. It was put into duty on February 18, 1901. The government spent $75,000 to build this reinforced concrete battery. It boasted two 8-inch M1888MI guns mounted on M1896 Disappearing carriages. The guns were situated on the upper level of the structure and the magazines were stored on the lower level. To move shells up to the guns, Taylor-Raymond shell hoists were installed.

Large caliber coastal defense gun tubes were extensively removed from the United States during World War 1. This occurred as a result of the United States’ involvement in World War I when it sought to strengthen its overseas allies. Many of the removed cannon and mortar tubes were taken to arsenals to be modified and mounted on wheel-mounted mobile carriages. The majority of the dismantled gun tubes from the United States were either removed or were left at national arsenals until they were required elsewhere. The two 8″ guns from Battery Wooster were ordered to be disassembled on August 24, 1917, in order to be used overseas. The cannons were transported to the Watervliet Arsenal in New York on December 21st, 1917. In May 1918, the carriages were destroyed. The battery was never rearmed and it was abandoned. Today, it can be found right at the tip of the Napatree Point Conservation Area in the beautiful town of Watch Hill, Rhode Island.

Learn more about Battery Wooster at Fort Mansfield

Belton Court Estate (Zion Bible College)

Town: Barrington
Directions: Here

Belton Court is an abandoned historic estate on Middle Highway in Barrington, Rhode Island. The 55,000 square-foot mansion was built as the country home for Frederick Stanhope Peck, a businessman, and Rhode Island political figure. The home was built in 1905 and in 1985 Belton Court became home to the Zion Bible College. Zion Bible College moved out of the campus in 2008 and the campus was sold to a developer but it has hardly been touched in recent years. Today, the mansion is full of graffiti and broken glass while the dormitories and land have been decaying. Barrington Police Department keeps a close eye on the property and it is not open to the public.

Crook Point Bascule Bridge (Seekonk River Train Bridge)

The abandoned Crook Point Bascule Bridge (Seekonk River Train Bridge) in Providence, Rhode Island

Town: Providence
Directions: Here

The Crook Point Bascule Bridge is a defunct Scherzer rolling lift railway bridge that spans 850-feet over the Seekonk River. The bridge connected the city of Providence to the city of East Providence. The bridge opened in 1908 and was abandoned in 1976 after the East Side Railroad Tunnel and Union Station closed. Since 1976, the Crook Point Bascule Bridge has remained in its stuck-up position and is often referred to by locals as the “Stuck-Up Bridge.” It’s an iconic sign of urban decay.

Learn more about the Crook Point Bascule Bridge

East Side Railroad Tunnel (West Portal)

The abandoned East Side Railroad Tunnel (West Portal) in Providence, Rhode Island

Town: Providence
Directions: Here (Located very close to 185 Benefit Street)

The East Side Railroad Tunnel can be found on the East Side of Providence with the western portal of the abandoned tunnel positioned below Benefit Street. The tunnel was opened in November 1908 and cost about $2 million to build. The tunnel ran over 5,000 feet and connected the East Side of Providence to the old Union Station in the center of Providence. The infrastructure project also featured the Crook Point Bascule Bridge over the Seekonk River, which would be later abandoned as well. Today, the railroad tunnel is sealed off and nobody can enter it. It’s now just a relic of a time gone by.

Enchanted Forest

Town: Hopkinton
Directions: Here

The Enchanted Forest was a fairytale-themed amusement park that opened in 1971 in Hope Valley, Hopkinton, Rhode Island. The park was a popular spot for young children and families for decades. Enchanted Forest featured recreations of the Old Woman’s Shoe, the House that Jack Built, and Humpty Dumpty along with some small rides and concession stands. The amusement park ultimately closed in 2005 and much of the equipment was sold off. Today, the Enchanted Forest is abandoned although the land has switched owners a few times since the park closed. You can find some of the old buildings, equipment, and ruins of attractions today as they are slowly being taken over by nature.

Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B

The abandoned Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B in Point Judith, Rhode Island

Town: Point Judith
Directions: HERE

Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B is a fascinating abandoned military structure located in Point Judith, Rhode Island. Fort Greene was established in 1940 and served as a coastal defense during World War II. Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B is located in the south reservation section of the fort. There were 4 different coastal gun batteries spanning 3 different reservations. Additionally, two fire control towers were built, 1-B and 1-C. Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B is a two-story concrete control tower. Both floors feature a slim lookout window that offers sweeping views of the ocean and bay. Men stationed at the tower would be able to inform the nearby coastal gun batteries about any enemies.

The control tower itself was originally disguised to look like a beach cottage. After being abandoned in 1943, the tower began to fall into disrepair. The wood roof and sidings have fallen off the concrete core over the years. Today, the concrete tower sticks out of the surrounding terrain. It is unknown what the future will hold for the tower. As of 2023, the surrounding area is going through re-development by the government.

Over the years, the land surrounding the tower was formed into Camp Cronin. For this reason, some locals refer to the tower as the Camp Cronin Fire Control Tower. The camp offers a wonderful beach area and also is home to the Point Judith Fisherman’s Memorial. Point Judith Lighthouse is just a couple hundred feet away too!

Learn more about Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B

Fort Wetherill

The abandoned Fort Wetherill in Jamestown, Rhode Island

Town: Jamestown
Directions: Here

Fort Wetherill is a former coast artillery fort that occupies the southern portion of the eastern tip of Conanicut Island in Jamestown, Rhode Island. The fort is uniquely situated atop high granite cliffs that allow the fort to lookout over the entrance to Narragansett Bay. The land was originally occupied by Fort Dumpling which was situated there from 1798-1899. In 1899, the U.S. government gathered more land in Jamestown and established Fort Wetherill. The fort was used during both World War 1 and World War 2. The State of Rhode Island officially acquired the fort on August 16, 1972 and reconfigured the site for public use as a state park. The public state park occupies 61.5 acres and has beautiful walking trails, fort views, scuba diving, and more.

Learn more about Fort Wetherill

Industrial National Bank Building (Superman Building)

The abandoned Industrial National Bank Building (Superman Building) in Providence, Rhode Island

Town: Providence
Directions: Here

Industrial National Bank Building, also known as the Superman Building, is the tallest building in Providence and the tallest building in Rhode Island. The 428-foot building was built in 1927 and designed in the Art Deco style popular at the time. The building opened for tenants on October 1, 1928. The building remained a popular building for many years and in 1998, Bank of America bought the building and was the primary tenant. Bank of America sold the building in 2008 and did not renew its lease in 2012. Since April 2013, the building has been vacant. The building has a lot of damage and is very endangered. There have been some events held in the buildings along with tours in the past few years.

Learn more about the Superman Building

Pawtucket-Central Falls Train Station

The abandoned Pawtucket-Central Falls Train Station in Pawtucket Central Falls, Rhode Island
“Pawtucket – Central Falls Railroad Station (Providence County, Rhode Island)” by cmh2315fl is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

Town: Pawtucket/Central Falls
Directions: Here

Pawtucket/Central Falls station is a currently abandoned railroad station located in the Rhode Island cities of Pawtucket and Central Falls. The station was built in 1915 and opened in 1916 and was originally served by New Haven Railroad trains. It features two island platforms and four tracks. The station building was closed in 1959 as it was in disrepair. After the station closed down, the platforms remained open until 1981 until a new station was built in Attleboro, MA to serve the area. The station is not open to the public and there are currently plans for a new project on the site.

Providence River Crane

Town: Providence
Directions: Here

The Providence River Crane is one of the newest abandoned structures in Rhode Island. The 114-foot crane barge stood in the Providence River for many years but was not well cared for. In 2014, the Coast Guard inspected the barge and reported that it needed repair and had the potential to sink. The barge and part of the crane did end up sinking in 2017.

The owner of the crane barge, Mark Ginalski, refused to take action and avoided all fines in regards to maintaining and removing the crane barge. Mark Ginalski had a history of maritime violations since 2005 including operating a tug-boat without a license, causing gas leaks, and damaging vessels. Ginalski passed away in 2020 and the sunken crane barge still remains in the Providence River. The top half of the crane can be seen from the edges of the Providence River as it is only a few dozen yards off-shore. As with many urban decaying structures in Rhode Island, the crane will be in the river for the foreseeable future.

Rocky Point Amusement Park

The abandoned Rocky Point Amusement Park in Warwick, Rhode Island

Town: Warwick
Directions: Here

Rocky Point Park was an amusement park on the Narragansett Bay shore of Warwick, Rhode Island. Rocky Point operated from 1847 until 1994. The amusement park was a go-to destination for families as it had tons of rides including 2 roller coasters along with many food vendors, a concert venue, and more. In the early 1990s, Rocky Point’s financial situation became shaky and it eventually closed in 1997. After closing, the owners auctioned off many of the rides. A state park was eventually formed on the water-front property in 2011. The current state park features beautiful views, walking paths, green space, and a few abandoned remnants of past rides.

Learn more about Rocky Point Amusement Park

Roger Williams Park Mausoleum

Town: Cranston
Directions: Here

Roger Williams Park Mausoleum is one of the most creepy structures in all of Rhode Island. The mausoleum was built in 1926 and operated by Thomas Cullinan. After he passed away, his daughters took over the business until they passed in 2000 and 2002. They did not leave money for upkeep or the facility or find a new owner. In January 2005 the building was condemned as structurally unsound by the city of Cranston. The city put a fence around the building while 300-500 people remained inside the mausoleum. The future of the mausoleum was unknown for many years, until 2019 when remains were removed from the abandoned and damaged structure.

The Reef Estate Stables & Carriage House “The Bells”

The abandoned The Reef Estate Stables & Carriage House “The Bells” in Newport, Rhode Island

Town: Newport
Directions: Here

The Bells was once one of Newport’s most beautiful properties. The oceanfront estate was built in 1876 for copper magnate Theodore Davis who filled the house with beautiful artifacts and treasures. The home did change hands in 1928 and during WWII the home was seized to house gunnery personnel who manned anti-aircraft gun emplacements. The home was set on fire in 1961 and demolished in 1963. Today, a crumbling stone stable and carriage house are all that remain. The decaying structures can be found on public park land.

Learn more about The Bells

The Milk Can Manville

The abandoned The Milk Can Manville in Manville, Rhode Island
“Abandoned Milk Can (LF)” by TunnelBug is licensed under CC BY 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Town: Manville
Directions: Here

The Milk Bottle Shaped Building in Manville used to be an ice cream shop before closing down. The structure, known as “The Milk Can,” was built in the late 1920s. It originally was built in Lincoln, RI, but was later moved to it’s current location in Manville. The shop was closed in 1968 and abandoned. Today, it can be found right along Highway 146.

Scarborough Beach Ruins (Windswept Mansion)

The abandoned Scarborough Beach Ruins (Windswept Mansion) in Narragansett, Rhode Island

Town: Narragansett
Directions: Here

Scarborough Beach is a stunning beach in Rhode Island known for having beautiful sand, sun, and surf. It also is home to the former mansion, Windswept, which was constructed in 1895. The twenty-one-room mansion was built for the Davis family who made their fortune by selling a Pain Killer mixture known as “Perry Davis’s Vegetable Pain Killer.” Four decades later, the Davis’ sold the property to the Castiglione brothers, who transformed Windswept into an upscale restaurant called Cobb’s by the Sea. In 1952, the property changed hands once again and the new owners eventually vacated the estate. The property was left abandoned and over the years was vandalized many times. After multiple fires were set on the mansion, it was demolished and today only ruins remain. The stone frame of the carriage house can be seen today and is open to the public.

Learn more about the Scarborough Beach Mansion Ruins

Conclusion

Exploring abandoned locations in Rhode Island is a truly unique and special experience. The state is steeped in history, and exploring its abandoned locations can often reveal a hidden part of the past. From abandoned war forts to old mansions to forgotten monuments, there’s something special about wandering through these places and imagining what life must have been like decades ago. Rhode Island is full of secrets, and exploring its abandoned locations is a great way to uncover them.

Reminder: Always obey “no trespassing” signs and do more research on spots before exploring. Abandoned locations often can be very unsafe.

Picture of Tom Riley

Tom Riley

Hi! I'm Tom. I am the creator of GoXplr. I started this website with a focus on helping people explore better and explore more. I am based in New England and obsessed with traveling. Here at GoXplr, you will find expert blog posts and also maps containing all of the best places to explore. These blogs and maps have taken thousands of hours to complete. I hope you enjoy this resource and it inspires you to get out and explore!

Support GoXplr

GoXplr is an expensive website to keep running. This is not a typical blog. We have a popular blog along with many popular maps. There is nowhere else online where you can find maps of every covered bridge, lighthouse, waterfalls, etc. in New England. Fees are high for website hosting, email marketing, mapping software, and additional plugins to keep things running. Please consider joining our Premium Substack. Thank you so much!

Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *