Alder Stream Falls is a stunning and super remote waterfall located in the Alder Stream Township in Maine. The waterfall has a total height of 50 feet and it can be found along the Alder Stream. Alder Stream features pretty solid water flow year-round. That said, it typically flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Considering the water flow is often greatest in the spring, the months of May and June are recommended for visitors hoping to see them roaring. That said, Alder Stream Falls is truly a great location to explore year-round.
The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of two separate drops. The upper section of the falls drops about 25 feet. It falls in a beautiful formation featuring plunges and cascades. The lower section of the falls also drops about 25 feet. This section consists mainly of horsetails and cascades.
Accessing the waterfall is both easy and hard. Driving to the waterfall is a challenge, but the hike is super quick and easy. The waterfall is located in an extremely remote region in Northern Maine, just about 10 miles from the Canadian Border. Explorers can drive along ME-27 and eventually turn onto Alder Stream Road which is an unmarked and unpaved road. Follow Alder Stream Road for about 4.5 miles to reach the waterfall. It is recommended to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle and some emergency equipment just in case. After driving the four and a half miles, parking is available on the side of the road near the upper falls. Once parked, the falls are just steps away. Dogs are allowed on the trail.
- Height: 50 feet (two 25-foot drops)
- Type: Upper Falls features plunges and some cascades. Lower Falls features horsetails and cascades.
- Water Source: Alder Stream
- Swimming: Not allowed and not possible
Alder Stream Falls Location
- Park: N/A – the waterfall is located on land owned by the Penobscot Indian Nation, but visitors seem welcomed)
- Address: South Road
- Town: Alder Stream Township
- State: Maine
- Upper Falls: 45.235478, -70.624914
- Lower Falls: 45.236238, -70.621764
- Parking Notes: There are two parking areas for the waterfall. The best parking option is the dirt parking area along South Road located near the upper falls. It can hold about 3-4 cars.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions:
There are no reviews yet.