Arethusa Falls is one of the most legendary waterfalls in New Hampshire with the tallest continuous drop. It is unclear the exact height of this horsetail waterfall, but most estimates say between 160-200 feet. At 200 feet, the waterfall would be listed as the third tallest in New Hampshire, behind Silver Cascade and Flume Cascade.
The waterfall is located off Route 302 in the town of Harts Location at the southern end of Crawford Notch State Park. The Arethusa Falls Trail brings hikers directly to the waterfall and it passes Coliseum Falls. The trail is 2.8 miles out and back, well-marked, and rated as moderate. The trail is kid-friendly and dogs are allowed to hike Arethusa Falls Trail on a leash.
- Height: 160-200 feet
- Type: Horsetail
- Water source: Bemis Brook
- Swimming: Prohibited and/or not possible
- Park: Crawford Notch State Park
- Address: Arethusa Falls Rd
- Town: Hart’s Location
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 44.14676 Lng -71.39271
- Parking Notes: There is a small parking lot at the trailhead which can hold about a dozen cars. Additional parking can be found a few hundred yards away, just off Crawford Notch Road. This parking lot is far larger. It can hold about 50 cars.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE