Avalanche Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in the famous Flume Gorge at the base of Mount Liberty in the White Mountain National Forest. The waterfall drops about 45 feet and features stunning plunges, horsetails, and cascades. It is fueled by Flume Brook, which is most powerful in the spring and on rainy days.
The waterfall is located at the end of Flume Gorge and can be accessed via The Flume Gorge Trail. The trail is a 2.2-mile loop trail and it is rated as easy. Visitors to Flume Gorge must pay to enter because of the many amenities offered, including the boardwalks built inside the gorge which allow visitors to get up close to the waterfalls, rocks, flowers, mosses, and ferns. Also, the Flume Covered Bridge can be found within the park!
- Height: 45 feet
- Type: Plunges, horsetails, and cascades
- Water source: Flume Brook
- Swimming: Prohibited and/or not possible
Avalanche Falls Location
- Park: Franconia Notch State Park
- Address: 852 Daniel Webster Hwy
- Town: Lincoln
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 44.10030 Lng -71.66928
- Parking Notes: There are several large parking lots at the Flume Gorge Visitor Center which give visitors access to Avalanche Falls. Parking is free, but there is a fee to visit Flume Gorge where Avalanche Falls is located.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE
External Website: https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/flume-gorge