Battery Armistead was a coastal gun battery constructed on Fort Kearny in Narragansett, Rhode Island. Originally constructed as a concrete coastal gun battery for the Endicott Period, it had two 3″ M1903 guns mounted on M1903 Barbette carriages. The magazine and weapons were located on the bottom level of this two-story battery. Powder or shell hoists were not included. The nearby Battery French ran power to Battery Armistead.
Captain Lewis G.A. Armistead, who was killed in combat at Fort Erie, Upper Canada, in September 1814, inspired G.O. 194, which was issued on December 27, 1904, to name the battery in his honor. Construction on the battery began in August 1904 and was finished in October 1906. It cost $16,600 to complete and was given to the Coast Artillery on May 7, 1908, ready for use.
During World War 2, the guns from the battery were relocated to Fort Varnum in Narrangsettt. Following the Second World War, the original Battery Armistead was abandoned. It was officially deactivated in 1943.
- Year Built: 1904-1906
- Year Abandoned: 1943
- Original Function: Coastal gun battery constructed on Fort Kearny in Narragansett