Bear’s Den Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in New Salem, Massachusetts. The waterfall has a total height of about 15 feet and it can be found along the Middle Branch Swift River. The river flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Although it is best to explore the waterfall in the spring, Bear’s Den Falls is a great spot to visit year-round. The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of wonderful cascades.
Accessing the waterfall is pretty easy. The waterfall is located in the Bear’s Den Reservation which features a well-marked trail system and is managed/owned by The Trustees of Reservations. Visitors can park along Neilson Road and then hike 0.20 miles one-way to the falls. The waterfall trail is family-friendly and a great way to get some hiking in. Dogs are also allowed on the trail and through the entirety of Bear’s Den Reservation.
Don’t miss out on visiting this stunning Massachusetts waterfall. Looking for more great waterfalls in Massachusetts? Check out our full list of every waterfall in Massachusetts.
- Height: 15-foot total drop
- Type: Cascades
- Water source: Middle Branch Swift River
- Swimming: Too shallow so not possible
Bear’s Den Falls Location
- Park: Bear’s Den Reservation
- Address: Neilson Road
- Town: New Salem
- State: Massachusetts
- GPS: Lat 42.541883 Lng -72.328194
- Parking Notes: There are about a half dozen parking spots right at the trailhead on the side of Neilson Road. Please note that no parking is permitted outside of the designated area.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE