Bickford Slides is an iconic waterfall located in Stow, Maine. It consists of three main sections and drops over 100 feet in total. The upper falls drop about 20 feet, the middle falls drop about 40 feet, and the lower falls drop about 50 feet. These drops consist of horsetails, cascades, and, of course, slides. They are each lovely. For those looking to swim, there are nice pools at the middle and upper falls. These are rated as good swimming holes.
In regards to location, the Bickford Slides can be found along Bickford Brook. This brook features a pretty small watershed. For this reason, it is best to visit during the springtime when the snow is melting to see the waterfalls flowing strongest. That said, any time is a great time to see these falls. They are impressive even when the water flow is lesser.
- Trail Length: 2.2 miles
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate
- Elevation Gain: 650 feet
- Route Type: Loop
- Dog Policy: Dogs are allowed
To access Bickford Slides, explorers can take the Bickford Brook Trail. Follow the trail up the brook for about a mile until reaching a cross point. After crossing the brook, the upper falls will soon appear. Continue walking down the trail to view the middle and lower falls. They all can be found just a few feet off the trail. Some bushwhacking is required to achieve awesome views. The trek usually takes about 1.5-2 hours.
- Height: 100+ foot total drop
- Type: Cascades, slides, and horsetails
- Water Source: Bickford Brook
- Swimming: Good at the middle and upper sections of the falls
Bickford Slides Location
- Park: White Mountain National Forest
- Address: Main Road (State Route 113)
- Town: Stow
- State: Maine
- GPS: 44.272126, -70.987920
- Parking Notes: Parking is available at the trailhead which is located right behind The Brickett Place which is a historical landmark. To get to the parking area, visitors must drive along Main Road, also known as State Route 113. Be aware that Main Road does close for the winter.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE
There are no reviews yet.