Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge is home to some super cool sites including Bunker 303. When the Fort Devens Sudbury Training Annex Superfund site was established in 1942, the bunker was constructed. The U.S. Army military post during WW2 was about four square miles large and included parts of the Massachusetts towns of Maynard, Stow, Hudson, and Sudbury. The location was used as a laboratory disposal site, an ordnance testing station, a troop training and research facility, and an ammo store. Bunker 303 was used to store live ammunition.
Fort Devens’ closure after the war required a lot of effort. The EPA and the U.S. Army collaborated to remove contaminated soil, dismantle underground storage tanks, lid an on-site landfill, and monitor groundwater. Parts of the site are currently owned by several organizations. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service received 2,230 acres of the property from the Army in 2000. (USFWS). With the transferred area, USFWS established the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge. Today, visitors of the refuge can walk up to Bunker 303 and imagine what times were like there a few decades ago. There are several other bunkers nearby in the park that are well worth checking out too!
- Year Built: 1942
- Year Abandoned: 1950
- Original Function: A Maynard Ammunition Storage Backup Point bunker that was used to store live ammunition during World War 2
- Address: 680 Hudson Road
- Town: Sudbury
- State: Massachusetts
- GPS: Lat 42.40314 Lng -71.4661587
- Parking notes: There is a circle parking lot located at the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center which is a short walk from the bunker. Parking is free at the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge.
- Parking directions: HERE
- Location directions: HERE