Buttermilk Falls in Ludlow, Vermont is a spectacular three-series waterfall. The waterfall drops about 45 feet in total. The lower falls drop 10 feet, the middle falls drop 20 feet, and the upper falls drop 15. Each of the falls features lovely pools at its base. For visitors looking to swim, the middle falls and upper falls are best.
Buttermilk Falls can be found along Branch Brook. The brook features good water flow year-round and the flow often peaks during the spring when the snow is melting. Visitors hoping to see the falls truly roaring should visit during the months of April, May, and June. The falls are also less busy during the off-season. That said, the falls are truly wonderful to visit year-round.
Accessing the waterfall is super quick and easy. Visitors can park right at the end of Buttermilk Falls Road. The upper falls can nearly be viewed from this parking area. To reach the middle and lower falls, a short hike is required. It takes only about 10-15 minutes to experience all the waterfalls. That said, many visitors during the summer love swimming at the falls, and these visits can be hours of fun!
Buttermilk Falls is truly a spectacular Vermont waterfall that every waterfall lover should check out. It is also so easy to access that it makes for a great kid-friendly and dog-friendly place to explore.
- Height: 45 feet
- Type: Horsetails and cascades
- Water Source: Branch Brook
- Swimming: Excellent at the middle and upper falls
Buttermilk Falls Location
- Park: Okemo State Forest
- Address: Buttermilk Falls Road
- Town: Ludlow
- State: Vermont
- GPS: 43.436238, -72.730062
- Parking Notes: Parking is available at the end of the road, right near the upper falls. Parking is free for visitors to the waterfall. If you plan to visit during the summer, it is wise to show up early or on a weekday to avoid the summer weekend crowds.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE (upper falls)