Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the eastern seaboard of the United States, is a very popular destination for visitors of Acadia National Park. The mountain stands 1,530 feet tall and the summit overlook provides breathtaking views of the glaciated coastal and island scenery. From October 7 to March 6, it is also known for being the first site in the United States to see the sunrise. The summit overlook features a short, paved Cadillac Summit Loop Trail, interpretive waysides, restrooms, and a gift store.
The 3.5-mile Cadillac Summit Road, off Park Loop Road, leads to the overlook. On and alongside the road, be aware of road cyclists and visitors. Cadillac Summit Road is closed to RVs and trailers. The Cadillac South Ridge Trail is recommended for those who want to trek to the peak of Cadillac Mountain.
Cadillac Mountain is one of more than 20 mountains on Mount Desert Island (MDI), Maine, that were pushed up millions of years ago by tectonic and volcanic activity. The stunning views from Cadillac Mountain (first named Green Mountain) have been enjoyed by visitors for thousands of years. The mountain was originally part of the Wabanaki people’s homeland. Mount Desert Island was first settled by Europeans in the 1600s, and the peak was quickly utilized to chart the coastline. Cadillac Mountain had become a renowned tourist destination by the late 1800s.
The early twentieth century saw a rise in the summit’s preservation efforts. The Hancock County Trustees for Public Reservations purchased the mountain in 1908 and included it in the original land acreage of Sieur de Monts National Monument, which ultimately became Acadia National Park. From 1929 to 1932, the Cadillac Mountain auto road was built. Pets are allowed at Cadillac Mountain when leashed.
Exploring Acadia soon? Be sure to check out the 17 Best Photography Spots In Acadia National Park!
- Type: Summit
- Elevation: 1,530 ft
- Prominence: 1,530 ft
- Parent mountain: Cadillac Mountain
- Easiest trail: Cadillac South Ridge Trail
- Trail distance: 6.7 miles (out and back)
- Trail difficulty: Moderate
- Trail popularity: High
- Elevation gain: 1,548 ft
- Estimated hike time: 2-4 hours
- Accessible by car: Yes
- Address: Cadillac Summit Road
- Town: Bar Harbor
- State: Maine
- GPS: Lat 44.35784 Lng -68.23149
- Parking notes: Cadillac Mountain Overlook is accessible by car by traveling on Cadillac Summit Road for three miles. There are several scenic pullouts along the way to take in the scenery. At the summit, there are two parking lots, as well as facilities, a gift shop, and panoramic viewpoints connected by paved paths. There are about 100 parking spots at the Cadillac Mountain Overlook. If you are hiking to the Cadillac Mountain Overlook, there are multiple spots along Champlain Dr near the Cadillac South Ridge Trailhead.
- Parking directions: HERE
- Location directions: HERE
Amazing sunset atop Cadillac Mountain at Acadia National Park
Joanna Hiatt Kim –
Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park is an experience. I felt so lucky to get an amazing show of color…definitely helped with the 3:30am wake up call! This is Frenchman’s Bay, with Bald Porcupine Island on the right, Long Porcupine Island in the middle, and Burnt Porcupine Island on the left. The names amused us greatly!
Top of Cadillac
Lexie Carter –