Cathedral of the Pines is an amazing open-air complex in Rindge, New Hampshire. It is located on the top of a hill and offers panoramic views of Mount Monadnock and Cheshire County. The cathedral was developed by the Sloane family in 1945 to be a memorial for soldiers who have fallen in service to the United States.
Douglas Sloane III and his wife Sibyl purchased the land, which would later become Cathedral of the Pines, in 1937. The total site was 128 acres and they had intentions to build family homes on the property. This was until their son, Sanderson (Sandy), was killed in action in 1944 while serving in the United States Army Air Forces.
After losing Sandy, Douglas and Sibyl decided to create a memorial on their beautiful land. This memorial would honor the military service and sacrifice of American men and women. They envisioned it would become a space for peace and understand. They succeed in a big way. The cathedral is visited by tens of thousands of people every year and it has become a popular event space for talks, weddings, and religious services. It now spans 236 acres and consists of outdoor chapels, gardens, cemeteries, monuments, a gift shop, and an informational center.
Cathedral of the Pines is a 501c(3) nonprofit which is funded by donations from the public. People can give online at https://www.cathedralofthepines.org/ or at the donation drop boxes on the property.
- Address: 10 Hale Hill Road
- Town: Rindge
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 42.775274 Lng -71.989336
- Parking notes: There is a large paved parking area in front of the cathedral complex. Parking is free, but donations are welcomed in the donation boxes found throughout the property.
- Parking directions: HERE
- Location directions: HERE