Contoocook Railroad Covered Bridge is a beautiful covered bridge located in Hopkinton, New Hampshire. The bridge was originally built in 1850 to allow rail traffic to go over the Contoocook River. It was used by the old Concord and Claremont Railroad line. The bridge was rebuilt in 1889 and has been carefully preserved ever since. The bridge spans 140 feet long and is about 22 feet wide. Its train tracks were removed and it is currently open and welcomes pedestrians to walk through it.
On January 11, 1980, this covered bridge received the honor of being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources. The NRHP Reference number for the Contoocook Railroad Covered Bridge is 80000294.
Visiting and photographing the Contoocook Railroad Covered Bridge is a wonderful experience. This covered bridge is surrounded by a vibrant downtown and a scenic river, making it the perfect place to take photos. As you explore the covered bridge, be sure to take the time to admire its unique architecture and design. Not only will you be able to take amazing pictures, but you will also feel a sense of history as you explore this historic structure. Visiting and photographing this covered bridge is an experience that you won’t soon forget!
Accessing the covered bridge is extremely easy thanks to the parking areas located just a few hundred feet from its eastern entrance. Parking is free.
Fun fact: This is the oldest railroad-covered bridge in the country that’s still standing!
Covered Bridge Specs
- Constructed: 1850 (rebuilt in 1889)
- Design/Style: Double Town-Pratt lattice truss
- Total Length: 140 feet
- Total Width: 22 feet
- Carries: Old Concord and Claremont Railroad line
- Crosses: Contoocook River
- Maintained By: New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources
- Usage: Vehicles Not Permitted
- World Guide Number: 26-07-07
- NRHP: 80000294
Contoocook Railroad Covered Bridge Location
- Address: Main Street / NH 103
- Town: Hopkinton
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: 43.223091, -71.713891
- Parking Notes: Parking is available just off Main Street, which is also known as New Hampshire Route 103. Visitors can park just west of the bridge in a public lot which is also used by visitors of the Contoocook Railroad Museum and Visitor Center.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE
Alexa Rotman –
Such a cool bridge!
The Eastern entrance to the Contoocook Railroad Covered Bridge! Love this historic covered bridge so much!
Big and beautiful red bridge! Located just off Main Street in Hopkinton!