Doane’s Falls in Royalston, Massachusetts is a lovely waterfall that drops approximately 175 feet. The waterfall features plunges, cascades, and a block. The Lawrence Brook flows into the falls and is strongest in the spring. Swimming and wading has been strictly prohibited since 2002 at the waterfall due to deaths and injuries.
The waterfall is located within the Doane’s Falls Reservation which is named for Amos Doane. Amos owned the falls and surrounding land in the early 19th century. He saw the falls as a possible business opportunity so he built a mill 50 feet long and more than 4 stories tall above the falls. He would create doors, sashes, and blinds using the mill. Amos’ business venture ended up failing, despite previous mills succeeding along Lawrence Brook. Ultimately, Doane’s Falls and the surrounding land were acquired by the non-profit organization The Trustees of Reservations.
The Trustees of Reservations currently manages and owns the waterfall and surrounding land. Doane’s Fall Trail is a well-maintained and marked 0.4 mile out and back trail. The trail is rated as easy and it offers beautiful views of the falls. In total, there are three different waterfalls that comprise Doane’s Fall. Doane’s Falls Middle Falls is located just about 0.1 miles from the trailhead and it drops about 10 feet over a steep rock face. The waterfall consists mainly of horsetails.
Looking for more great spots in Massachusetts to explore? Check out goxplr.com/map/massachusetts/
- Height: Approximately 10 feet (Doane’s Falls drops about 175 feet)
- Type: Horsetail and small plunges
- Water source: Lawrence Brook
- Swimming: Prohibited and/or not possible
- Park: Doane’s Falls Reservation
- Address: Doane Hill Rd
- Town: Royalston
- State: Massachusetts
- GPS: Lat 42.648800 Lng -72.201930
- Parking Notes: There are two parking areas to access the waterfall. One area is located at the intersection of Athol Road and Doane’s Falls Road. This is where the trailhead is. The additional parking area is located further down Doane’s Falls Road. Parking is free.
- Parking Directions: East parking area (HERE) West parking area (HERE)
- Location Directions: HERE
External Website: https://thetrustees.org/place/doanes-falls/