Dryad Falls is a very tall and remote waterfall located in Shelburne, New Hampshire. The waterfall has a total height of more than 300 feet and can be found along Dryad Brook. Dryad Brook is an extremely seasonal water source. It is best to visit the waterfall during the spring when snow is melting and fueling the brook. Outside of spring, this waterfall is often not very impressive as only a trickle of water makes its way down the steep rock face.
The waterfall itself is very unique due to its large size. Nobody knows for sure how tall the waterfall is. The best guesses are around 300 feet. That said, the full 300 feet can not be seen in one view. From the base of the waterfall, about 50 feet can be seen.
When it comes to accessing Dryad Falls, there are two different trails available. The first option is to drive up Mill Brook Road and hike 0.8 miles one-way to the falls. The hike is along Austin Brook Trail and then Dryad Falls Trail. The trail features 618 feet of elevation gain. Although this hike is quick and rather easy to complete, the drive is not so easy. Mill Brook Road is not paved and often is a pretty bumpy ride. It is best to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle if you plan to choose this route.
The second option is to park along North Road, which is paved and well-used. From here, walk up Gates Brook Trail until reaching Mill Brook Road. Hike along Mill Brook Road until reaching the Austin Brook Trail. Then follow the same instructions as route #1. Simply hike Austin Brook Trail and then turn onto Dryad Falls Trail. This trail option is about 3.30 miles one-way and features 1,322 feet of elevation gain. Ultimately, it is a lot harder than the first option, but a great option for people not looking to drive off-road.
- Height: Over 300 feet (but only 50 feet can be viewed from the trail)
- Type: Horsetails and slides
- Water Source: Dryad Brook (also known as Austin Brook)
- Swimming: Not possible
Dryad Falls Location
- Park: N/A
- Address: Mill Brook Road
- Town: Shelburne
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: 44.442374, -71.077402
- Parking Notes:
- Mill Brook Road – there is a small parking area along Mill Brook Road at the Austin Brook Trail trailhead. Mill Brook Road is an unpaved road that is not well-maintained. 4×4 vehicles are strongly recommended.
- North Road – there is a small parking area along North Road at the Gates Brook Trail trailhead.
- Parking Directions:
- Location Directions: HERE