Garfield Falls is a captivating and very remote waterfall located in Pittsburg, New Hampshire. The waterfall has a total height of 35 feet and it can be found along the East Branch of the Dead Diamond River. The branch flows strongest during spring when the snow melts. For visitors looking to see Garfield Falls at full force, it is recommended to visit during the spring, such as during the months of March, April, and May. Although the falls are most powerful during the spring, it is a great spot to visit year-round.
The waterfall itself drops in a unique single-plunge formation. The plunge is massive and drops right into a beautiful little pool surrounded by a wild gorge. Swimming at the base of the falls can be a great activity during the summer. That said, sometimes the water is full of leeches and other creatures. So be sure to check before you dive in. Also, watch out for high water levels which can be dangerous.
Accessing the waterfall is a bit complicated consisting how remote the area is. The main hassle is the drive to the waterfall. Visitors must drive up Garfield Falls Road which is not paved or well-maintained. It is best to take on the road using a 4×4 vehicle with large tires. Once parking at the Garfield Falls Trailhead, the walk to the waterfall is just 0.20 miles. It is a family-friendly trail and dogs are welcome too!
Another great waterfall nearby is Little Hellgate Falls. If you’re looking for more great waterfalls in NH, check out the full NH waterfall list!
- Height: 35-foot main drop
- Type: Plunge
- Water Source: East Branch of the Dead Diamond River
- Swimming: Good at optimal water levels
- Park: Connecticut Lakes Headway
- Address: Garfield Falls Road
- Town: Pittsburg
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: 45.028847, -71.113951
- Parking Notes: Parking is available along the side of Garfield Falls Road. The road is not paved or well-maintained. It is best to have a 4×4 vehicle with big tires if you hope to make the journey without too much trouble.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE