Great Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in Sandwich, New Hampshire. The waterfall has a total height of 20 feet and can be found along Pond Brook. Pond Brook flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Considering the water flow is often most significant in the spring, the months of March, April, and May are recommended for visitors hoping to see the most water flowing. That said, Great Falls is a great spot to visit year-round.
The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of horsetails and pools. There are still distinct drops. The main falls drop 12 feet and the lower falls drop about 8 feet. The pools at the bases of both falls are great for swimming. During the summer months, it is a perfect place to cool off. The main falls pool is often considered the better of the two.
Accessing the waterfall is relatively easy. The waterfall is located in the White Mountain National Forest which features many well-marked and well-maintained trails. Visitors can park at the end of Bennett Street in Sandwich and then hike 1.6 miles to the falls. The full trail out-and-back is 3.2 miles and features 502 feet of elevation gain. The waterfall trail is family-friendly and a great way to get some hiking in. Dogs are also allowed on the route.
- Height: 20 feet in total (Main falls are 12 feet; lower falls are 8 feet)
- Type: Horsetails and pools
- Water Source: Pond Brook
- Swimming: Great
Great Falls Location
- Park: White Mountain National Forest
- Address: Bennett Street
- Town: Sandwich
- State: New Hampshire
- Main Falls – 43.89546, -71.45929
- Lower Falls – 43.89424, -71.45902
- Parking Notes: Parking is available at the end of Bennett Street in Sandwich at the Bennett Street Trailhead. Be aware that it is a dirt road that leads to the parking area.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: