Hell Brook Cascades is a beautiful waterfall located in Cambridge, Vermont. The waterfall has a total height of about 120 feet and it can be found along Hell Brook, hence its name. Hell Brook was formed from the runoff of Mount Mansfield, Vermont’s tallest peak. This brook features a pretty seasonal water flow. It typically peaks during the spring when the snow is melting and running to the brook. For this reason, it is recommended to visit the falls during the months of April, May, and June to see them flow hardest. That said, any day is a good day to visit Hell Brook Cascades!
The waterfall itself drops 120 feet and features two distinct sections. The lower falls drop 90 feet and fall over a lovely series of plunges and cascades. Upstream is the upper falls and this waterfall features a stunning 30-foot horsetail.
Accessing the waterfall is relatively pretty easy. The waterfall is located in the Mount Mansfield State Forest which features a well-marked and extensive trail system. Visitors seeking out the falls can park along Vermont Route 108, also known as Mountain Road, just steps from the Hell Brook Trailhead. The hike to the falls is just about 1/10 of a mile to the waterfall. To access the upper falls, a quick scramble is required.
Ultimately, the waterfall trail is family-friendly and a great route to get some hiking in. Dogs are also allowed on the trail and through the entirety of Mount Mansfield State Forest.
- Height: 120-foot total drop (lower falls drop 90 feet and upper falls drop 30 feet)
- Type: Plunges, horsetails, and cascades
- Water Source: Hell Brook
- Swimming: Not possible / not allowed
Hell Brook Cascades Location
- Park: Mount Mansfield State Forest
- Address: Vermont Route 108 / Mountain Road
- Town: Cambridge
- State: Vermont
- GPS: 44.548574, -72.796718
- Parking Notes: There is a dedicated parking area located right along Vermont Route 108. The parking lot can hold about 20 cars and parking is free. Additionally, some visitors park along the road. Be sure to pull over completely on the side of the road, if you opt for this.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE