The Old Higgins Farm Windmill is noteworthy because it is one of the few remaining smock mills that still stands on Cape Cod. These windmills used to be common on Cape Cod and this is the only remaining one in Brewster. The style, which was popular in England in the 17th century, features a fixed base and movable cap. Due to their unique bases, these types of windmills often moved around because they were not fixedly tied to a foundation but instead rest on top of the earth. The windmill did move around several times during the 19th century and eventually found its permanent home at Drummer Boy Park in Brewster.
The Old Higgins Farm Windmill was extremely important to the Brewster community for its grinding abilities. The windmill was used by a number of farmers in the area to grind their corn using the two large grindstones in the mill. Corn was the main export crop of Cape Cod in the 19th century so the windmill played a major role in the local economy. After the Civil War, demand for corn decreased and the mill was used with less frequency.
The windmill was given to the Brewster Historical Society in November of 1973. The society found a home for the windmill in Drummer Boy Park just off Old Kings Highway. The non-profit organization then went about restoring the windmill to its original condition. Visitors are welcome to check out the windmill and surrounding park. Tours occur throughout the year as well!
- Built: 1795
- Original function: The mill was used to grind corn, the main export crop of Cape Cod in the 19th century
- Year added to NRHP: 1975
- NRHP number: 75000240
- Status: Open to the public for viewing
- Admission cost: Free
- Address: 51 Drummer Boy Road
- Town: Brewster
- State: Massachusetts
- GPS: Lat 41.7521141 Lng -70.1203374
- Parking notes: The windmill is located within Drummer Boy Park. The park has ample free parking. Be aware that the park does get busy on most summer weekends, especially when there are arts and crafts fairs held at the park.
- Parking directions: HERE
- Location directions: HERE
There are no reviews yet.