Rowell’s Covered Bridge is a beautiful and historic covered bridge located in Hopkinton, New Hampshire. The covered bridge was built in 1853 and it carries Rowell Bridge Rd over the Contoocook River. The bridge design is unique in that it features a combination of Long truss with Burr arches. Its total length is 165 feet and it sits on granite abutments. Today, vehicles are welcome to pass through the single lane. Pedestrians may walk when no cars are driving through.
In the 20th century, the town of Hopkinton believed that Rowell’s Covered Bridge should be strengthened. This was because two earlier bridges had sat on the same site but were destroyed. The bridge built in 1852 was washed away after about a year of use, so the town wanted to make sure the current bridge would remain for many years. A concrete pier was constructed in the center of the bridge sometime between 1930 and 1950. But, this addition was actually found to cause the bridge to seesaw when the river was rushing. Additionally, the concrete pier was weakening the granite abutments. The pier was disconnected from the bridge, except for two small tie rods. It is a very unusual feature to see on the bridge today.
The bridge was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The name “Rowell’s” comes from an early resident of Hopkinton, Abram Rowell.
Looking for more great spots to explore nearby? Check out the GoXplr New Hampshire Map at goxplr.com/map/new-hampshire!
Covered Bridge Specs
- Constructed: 1853
- Design/Style: Combination of Long truss with Burr arches
- Total length: 165 feet
- Total width: 21 feet
- Carries: Rowell Bridge Rd
- Crosses: Contoocook River
- Maintained by: Town of Hopkinton
- Usage: Open to vehicles and pedestrians
- World Guide Number: 29-07-08
- NRHP: 76000129
- Address: Rowell Bridge Road
- Town: Hopkinton
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 43.19231 Lng -71.74838
- Parking notes: There is a small dirt parking area on the north side of the bridge, off Clement Hill Rd. To the south of the bridge is a private parking lot which is restricted.
- Parking directions: HERE
- Location directions: HERE