Scantic Rapids is a beautiful waterfall located in Enfield, Connecticut. The waterfall has a total height of about 5 feet and it can be found along the Scantic River. The river flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. That said, the river does have solid watershed year-round, making the rapids fun to visit year-round.
Although the total drop of the waterfall is just about 5 feet, it does consist of several beautiful cascades which drop 1-2 feet each. The waterfall spans over 100 feet long which adds to its beauty. Many photographers enjoy capturing long exposure photos of the rapids. Although swimming is poor at the falls, some people enjoy taking tubes down the rapids during the summer. This is only possible when the water levels are high enough.
Accessing the waterfall is super easy. The waterfall is located in the Scantic River State Park which features a well-marked trail system. The rapids are located on the western edge of the state park so visitors should park in the lot off Powder Hill Road. From the parking area, the waterfall is just about 100 feet away. The Scantic Rapids are wonderful to explore with people of all ages and abilities. If you are seeking more of a hike, there are plenty of trails within the 784-acre state park. Dogs are welcome to join in on the adventure too!
Looking for more great waterfalls in Connecticut to explore? Check out our full list of CT waterfalls at goxplr.com/list/waterfalls-in-connecticut
- Height: 5-foot total drop
- Type: Rapids
- Water Source: Scantic River
- Swimming: Poor (but tubing is popular in the summer when the water levels are high)
- Park: Scantic River State Park
- Address: Powder Hill Road
- Town: Enfield
- State: Connecticut
- GPS: 41.982244, -72.539188
- Parking Notes: There are several different parking area avaialble for visitors of the Scantic River State Park. The parking lot closest to the falls is located along Powder Hill Road. This lot has space for about 20 cars and parking is free.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE