Smalls Falls is a 54-foot series of waterfalls and cascades on the Sandy River just north of Rangeley, Maine. Sandy River flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Although it is best to explore the waterfall in the spring to see the strongest water flow, Smalls Falls is a great spot to visit year-round.
The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of mainly horsetails and cascades. There are four different drops which make up the waterfall. The lowest waterfall of Small Falls has a small 3-foot cascade that flows into a large circular pool. The next waterfall up the stream is a 14-foot fanning horsetail that flows into a rectangular pool. The next higher waterfall has a 25-foot drop and features a plunge and horsetails. Lastly, the top waterfall is a 12-foot horsetail and slide. Each are absolutely beautiful and a joy to photograph.
The waterfall is conveniently located in the Smalls Falls Rest Area on Main Street. It can be accessed by walking just a few hundred feet from the rest area parking lot.In the winter and spring, visitors venture around the falls to see them roaring with power. In the summer, people often swim around in the pools and jumping from rocks. In the fall, photographers flock to the waterfall to capture the lovely foliage around the flowing water.
Don’t miss out on this stunning roadside waterfall in Maine! Find other great spots to explore in Maine at goxplr.com/map/maine
- Height: 55-foot total drop
- Type: Horsetails and cascades
- Water source: Sandy River
- Swimming: Great swimming
Smalls Falls Location
- Park: Smalls Falls Rest Area
- Address: Main Street
- Town: Rangeley
- State: Maine
- GPS: Lat 44.85867 Lng -70.51664
- Parking Notes: There are parking areas for Smalls Falls located on both sides of Main Street in Rangeley, Maine. There is ample parking available and it is free. The parking areas are only a short distance from the waterfall.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE