Upper Ammonoosuc Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in Crawfords Purchase, New Hampshire. The waterfall features multiple drops with the tallest being about 8 feet. The falls can be found along the Ammonoosuc River which often flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and the water runs of the surrounding mountains. Although it is best to explore the waterfall in the spring to see the most water flowing, Upper Ammonoosuc Falls is a great spot to visit year-round. The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of cascades and plunges with granite ledges along both sides.
Accessing the waterfall is super easy. The waterfall is located in the White Mountain National Forest which features many well-marked trails. Visitors can park along Base Station Road and then walk just a few feet to see the falls. There is a bridge that takes visitors above the river and offers unique views of the flowing water. This is a wonderful place to explore with kids, just be sure to be careful on the rocks and near the steep ledges. Also, dogs are allowed to visit the waterfall.
Looking for other great spots to explore in Crawford Notch? We have you covered. Check out our recent post on the best Crawford Notch locations to explore.
- Height: Multiple drops with the tallest drop being 8 feet
- Type: Cascades and plunges
- Water source: Ammonoosuc River
- Swimming: Not allowed
Upper Ammonoosuc Falls Location
- Park: White Mountain National Forest
- Address: Base Station Road
- Town: Crawfords Purchase
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 44.2660 Lng -71.4159
- Parking Notes: Parking is available on the roadside. There are spaces for about a dozen cars along both sides of Base Station Road.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE