Looking for the best abandoned spots in Rhode Island? We got you! This blog post is a compilation of the coolest (and creepiest) abandoned spots and structures in the Ocean State. Some are open to the public and others are very off-limits. Be sure to do research before visiting any of these spots to be sure whether or not you can explore them. As always be safe, leave just footsteps, and have fun! Also, let us know in the comments your favorite abandoned places in Rhode Island!
Belton Court Estate (Zion Bible College)
Belton Court is an abandoned historic estate on Middle Highway in Barrington, Rhode Island. The 55,000 square-foot mansion was built as the country home for Frederick Stanhope Peck, a businessman, and Rhode Island political figure. The home was built in 1905 and in 1985 Belton Court became home to the Zion Bible College. Zion Bible College moved out of the campus in 2008 and the campus was sold to a developer but it has hardly been touched in recent years. Today, the mansion is full of graffiti and broken glass while the dormitories and land have been decaying. Barrington Police Department keeps a close eye on the property and it is not open to the public.
The Crook Point Bascule Bridge is a defunct Scherzer rolling lift railway bridge that spans 850-feet over the Seekonk River. The bridge connected the city of Providence to the city of East Providence. The bridge opened in 1908 and was abandoned in 1976 after the East Side Railroad Tunnel and Union Station closed. Since 1976, the Crook Point Bascule Bridge has remained in its stuck-up position and is often referred to by locals as the “Stuck-Up Bridge.” It’s an iconic sign of urban decay.
East Side Railroad Tunnel
Directions: Here (Located very close to 185 Benefit Street)
The East Side Railroad Tunnel can be found on the East Side of Providence with the western portal of the abandoned tunnel positioned below Benefit Street. The tunnel was opened in November 1908 and cost about $2 million to build. The tunnel ran over 5,000 feet and connected the East Side of Providence to the old Union Station in the center of Providence. The infrastructure project also featured the Crook Point Bascule Bridge over the Seekonk River, which would be later abandoned as well. Today, the railroad tunnel is sealed off and nobody can enter it. It’s now just a relic of a time gone by.
The Enchanted Forest was a fairytale-themed amusement park that opened in 1971 in Hope Valley, Hopkinton, Rhode Island. The park was a popular spot for young children and families for decades. Enchanted Forest featured recreations of the Old Woman’s Shoe, the House that Jack Built, and Humpty Dumpty along with some small rides and concession stands. The amusement park ultimately closed in 2005 and much of the equipment was sold off. Today, the Enchanted Forest is abandoned although the land has switched owners a few times since the park closed. You can find some of the old buildings, equipment, and ruins of attractions today as they are slowly being taken over by nature.
Town: Watch Hill
Fort Mansfield was a coastal artillery installation located on Napatree Point, a long barrier beach in Watch Hill, Westerly, Rhode Island. Napatree Point was purchased in 1898 by the federal government and construction then began on the fort. Fort Mansfield opened up in 1901 and at its high point (in 1902) there were 18 buildings and 228 soldiers. The fort turned out to be extremely flawed when a mock battle took place in 1907 and showed how vulnerable the fort was. After the battle proved the fort was poorly built, personal and equipment began to move out of Fort Mansfield and by 1916 only 5 men remained. The plot of land was sold in 1926 and residences of Watch Hill organized for the property to become a state park. Today, the graffiti-covered fort ruins sit by the ocean being eroded by wind and water.
Fort Wetherill is a former coast artillery fort that occupies the southern portion of the eastern tip of Conanicut Island in Jamestown, Rhode Island. The fort is uniquely situated atop high granite cliffs that allow the fort to lookout over the entrance to Narragansett Bay. The land was originally occupied by Fort Dumpling which was situated there from 1798-1899. In 1899, the U.S. government gathered more land in Jamestown and established Fort Wetherill. The fort was used during both World War 1 and World War 2. The State of Rhode Island officially acquired the fort on 16 August 1972 and reconfigured the site for public use as a state park. The public state park occupies 61.5 acres and has beautiful walking trails, fort views, scuba diving, and more.
Industrial National Bank Building, also known as the Superman Building, is the tallest building in Providence and the tallest building in Rhode Island. The 428-foot building was built in 1927 and designed in the Art Deco style popular at the time. The building opened for tenants on October 1, 1928. The building remained a popular building for many years and in 1998, Bank of America bought the building and was the primary tenant. Bank of America sold the building in 2008 and did not renew its lease in 2012. Since April 2013, the building has been vacant. The building has a lot of damage and is very endangered. There have been some events held in the buildings along with tours in the past few years.
Pawtucket-Central Falls Train Station
Town: Pawtucket/Central Falls
Pawtucket/Central Falls station is a currently abandoned railroad station located in the Rhode Island cities of Pawtucket and Central Falls. The station was built in 1915 and opened in 1916 and was originally served by New Haven Railroad trains. It features two island platforms and four tracks. The station building was closed in 1959 as it was in disrepair. After the station closed down, the platforms remained open until 1981 until a new station was built in Attleboro, MA to serve the area. The station is not open to the public and there are currently plans for a new project on the site.
Providence River Crane
The Providence River Crane is one of the newest abandoned structures in Rhode Island. The 114-foot crane barge stood in the Providence River for many years but was not well cared for. In 2014, the Coast Guard inspected the barge and reported that it needed repair and had the potential to sink. The barge and part of the crane did end up sinking in 2017.
The owner of the crane barge, Mark Ginalski, refused to take action and avoided all fines in regards to maintaining and removing the crane barge. Mark Ginalski had a history of maritime violations since 2005 including operating a tug-boat without a license, causing gas leaks, and damaging vessels. Ginalski passed away in 2020 and the sunken crane barge still remains in the Providence River. The top half of the crane can be seen from the edges of the Providence River as it is only a few dozen yards off-shore. As with many urban decaying structures in Rhode Island, the crane will be in the river for the foreseeable future.
Rocky Point Amusement Park
Rocky Point Park was an amusement park on the Narragansett Bay shore of Warwick, Rhode Island. Rocky Point operated from 1847 until 1994. The amusement park was a go-to destination for families as it had tons of rides including 2 roller coasters along with many food vendors, a concert venue, and more. In the early 1990s, Rocky Point’s financial situation became shaky and it eventually closed in 1997. After closing, the owners auctioned off many of the rides. A state park was eventually formed on the water-front property in 2011. The current state park features beautiful views, walking paths, green space, and a few abandoned remnants of past rides.
Roger Williams Park Mausoleum
Roger Williams Park Mausoleum is one of the most creepy structures in all of Rhode Island. The mausoleum was built in 1926 and operated by Thomas Cullinan. After he passed away, his daughters took over the business until they passed in 2000 and 2002. They did not leave money for upkeep or the facility or find a new owner. In January 2005 the building was condemned as structurally unsound by the city of Cranston. The city put a fence around the building while 300-500 people remained inside the mausoleum. The future of the mausoleum was unknown for many years, until 2019 when remains were removed from the abandoned and damaged structure.
The Bells was once one of Newport’s most beautiful properties. The oceanfront estate was built in 1876 for copper magnate Theodore Davis who filled the house with beautiful artifacts and treasures. The home did change hands in 1928 and during WWII the home was seized to house gunnery personnel who manned anti-aircraft gun emplacements. The home was set on fire in 1961 and demolished in 1963. Today, a crumbling stone stable and carriage house are all that remain. The decaying structures can be found on public park land.
The Milk Can Manville
The Milk Bottle Shaped Building in Manville used to be an ice cream shop before closing down. The structure, known as “The Milk Can,” was built in the late 1920s. It originally was built in Lincoln, RI, but was later moved to it’s current location in Manville. The shop was closed in 1968 and abandoned. Today, it can be found right along Hwy 146.
Windswept Ruins (Scarborough Beach)
Scarborough Beach is a stunning beach in Rhode Island known for having beautiful sand, sun, and surf. It also is home to the former mansion, Windswept, which was constructed in 1895. The twenty-one-room mansion was built for the Davis family who made their fortune by selling a Pain Killer mixture known as “Perry Davis’s Vegetable Pain Killer.” Four decades later, the Davis’ sold the property to the Castiglione brothers, who transformed Windswept into an upscale restaurant called Cobb’s by the Sea. In 1952, the property changed hands once again and the new owners eventually vacated the estate. The property was left abandoned and over the years was vandalized many times. After multiple fires were set on the mansion, it was demolished and today only ruins remain. The stone frame of the carriage house can be seen today and is open to the public.