The Belknap Mountain Fire Tower in Gilford, NH was established in 1913. The steel tower sits at the summit of Belknap Mountain at 2,378 feet. It has been replaced and rebuilt several times since it was established. The Green (Warden’s) Trail is the easiest route to the fire tower. It takes about 2 hours to complete the 1.4 mile, out and back trail. The trail has an elevation gain of 669 feet. The majority of elevation is gained driving up to the parking lot. Hikers are rewarded with a 360-degree vista of the Lakes Region from the uppermost platform. On the mountain, there are numerous good perspectives, including one immediately next to the parking lot.
Do you love exploring fire towers? Check out these 15 New Hampshire Fire Towers With Jaw-Dropping Views!
- Type: Fire Tower & Summit
- Elevation: 2,378 ft
- Prominence: 1,850 ft
- Parent mountain: Belknap Mountain
- Easiest trail: Green (Warden’s) Trail
- Trail distance: 1.4 miles (out and back)
- Trail difficulty: Moderate
- Trail popularity: Medium
- Elevation gain: 669 ft
- Estimated hike time: 2 hours
- Address: Carriage Rd
- Town: Gilford
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 43.51790 Lng -71.36935
- Parking notes: The closest parking area to the summit of Belknap Mountain is at the end of Carriage Rd in Gilford, NH. Carriage Rd is a twisty dirt road that can be challenging to drive up, so consider the capabilities of your car. Additional parking can be found lower down Carriage Rd.
- Parking directions: HERE
- Location directions: HERE