Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B is a fascinating abandoned military structure located in Point Judith, Rhode Island. Fort Greene was established in 1940 and served as a coastal defense during World War II. It was constructed along with Fort Church in Little Compton and the pair replaced all earlier heavy gun positions in the Narragansett Bay Harbor Defenses. It bears the name of Rhode Island-born Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene.
Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B is located in the south reservation section of the fort. There were 4 different coastal gun batteries spanning 3 different reservations. Additionally, two fire control towers were built, 1-B and 1-C. Fort Greene Fire Control Tower 1-B is a two-story concrete control tower. Both floors feature a slim lookout window that offers sweeping views of the ocean and bay. Men stationed at the tower would be able to inform the nearby coastal gun batteries about any enemies. The control tower would remain in regular contact with Battery 211 and Battery 155 which both were part of the south reservation. Battery 211 was equipped with two 6″ M1903A2 rapid-fire guns mounted on M1 Shielded Barbette Carriages. Battery 155 featured four 155mm rapid-fire guns mounted on mobile marriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts.
The control tower itself was originally disguised to look like a beach cottage. After being abandoned in 1943, the tower began to fall into disrepair. The wood roof and sidings have fallen off the concrete core over the years. Today, the concrete tower sticks out of the surrounding terrain. It is unknown what the future will hold for the tower. As of 2023, the surrounding area is going through re-development by the government.
Over the years, the land surrounding the tower was formed into Camp Cronin. For this reason, some locals refer to the tower as the Camp Cronin Fire Control Tower. The camp offers a wonderful beach area and also is home to the Point Judith Fisherman’s Memorial. Point Judith Lighthouse is just a couple hundred feet away too!
- Year Established: 1940
- Year Abandoned: 1943
- Original Function: Fire Control Tower for Fort Greene in Point Judith
In rough shape – but cool spot! Nice beach and lighthouse nearby
The entrance of the path leading to the tower
Yas Miro –
Nice abandoned old fire tower near Point Judith Lighthouse