Schermerhorn Gorge is a beautiful waterfall located in Lenox, Massachusetts. The waterfall has a total height of 30 feet consisting of two distinct falls. Both drop about 15 feet along Felton Lake Brook. Felton Lake Brook flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Although it is best to explore the waterfall in the spring, Schermerhorn Gorge is a great spot to visit year-round. The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of a series of horsetails.
Accessing the waterfall is relatively easy. The waterfall is located in the October Mountain State Forest which features a well-marked trail system. Visitors can park along Woodland Road across from the trailhead and then hike Gorge Trail about 0.15 miles one-way to the falls. The hike takes about 10 minutes and it is a great family-friendly adventure. Dogs are also allowed on the trail and through the entirety of October Mountain State Forest.
The waterfall can be viewed well from the trail, but the trail does not take visitors to the base of the falls. Explorers and photographers looking to grab photos from the base of the waterfall will require some hiking down steep terrain. Things can get slippery too, so be safe. October Mountain State Forest is the largest forest in Massachusetts and Schermerhorn Gorge is the best waterfall in it.
Looking for more great waterfalls in Massachusetts? Check out goxplr.com/list/waterfalls-in-massachusetts-full-list
- Height: 30-foot total drop
- Type: Horsetails
- Water Source: Felton Lake Brook
- Swimming: Poor
- Park: October Mountain State Forest
- Address: Woodland Road
- Town: Lenox
- State: Massachusetts
- GPS: Lat 42.356834 Lng -73.235502
- Parking Notes: There is a small parking area located on Woodland Road, right across from the trailhead to the waterfall. It should be noted that reaching the parking area requires driving for about a mile on a single-lane dirt road. The road is fairly well-maintained, but can be a challenge during the winter or after heavy rain.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE