The Cascade (Melrose) is a beautiful waterfall located in Melrose, Massachusetts. The waterfall has a total height of 40 feet and it can be found along Shilly Shally Brook. Shilly Shally Brook flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Although it is best to explore the waterfall in the spring, The Cascade in Melrose is a great spot to visit year-round. The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of horsetails and plunges.
Accessing the waterfall is relatively easy and straightforward. The waterfall is located in the Middlesex Fells Reservation which features a well-marked trail system. Visitors can park along Goodyear Avenue and then hike 0.15 miles one-way to the falls. The trail is aptly named “Cascade Trail” and the trailhead is at the end of Goodyear Avenue.
The Cascade in Melrose is a wonderful family-friendly waterfall. Due to its proximity to Boston, it is often popular on the weekends. Dogs are welcome through the entirety of the Middlesex Fells Reservation.
Looking for more great waterfalls in Massachusetts to explore? Check out goxplr.com/list/waterfalls-in-massachusetts-full-list
- Height: 40-foot total drop with the tallest single drop being 15 feet
- Type: Horsetails and plunges
- Water Source: Shilly Shally Brook
- Swimming: Not possible
- Park: Middlesex Fells Reservation
- Address: Goodyear Avenue
- Town: Melrose
- State: Massachusetts
- GPS: Lat 42.445168 Lng -71.076168
- Parking Notes: Two hour parking is available on Goodyear Ave. The trailhead to the falls begins at the end of Goodyear Ave.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE