Ammonoosuc Ravine is an amazing 5-star rated waterfall in Sargents Purchase, New Hampshire on Mount Washington. The waterfall has a total height of 135 feet and can be found along the Ammonoosuc River. The Ammonoosuc River flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. For visitors hoping to see the most water flowing, it is best to visit during the spring months. That said, water flow is typically strong year-round.
The waterfall itself drops in various unique formations including plunges, horsetails, and cascades. When hiking up to the falls, the first waterfall is typically referred to as the “Gem Pool.” The Gem Pool Falls is about 35 feet tall and drops into a spectacular round pool. It is a wonderful spot to swim during the warmer months, especially after a long hike. The Upper Falls of the Ammonoosuc Ravine drop about 100 feet in two equal-height sections. All of these different drops are extremely beautiful and well worth seeking out.
When it comes to accessing the waterfall, hikers are going to want to know the trail ahead of time. The Gem Pool Falls is conveniently located right along the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, about 1.35 miles from the Marshfield Base Station. The Upper Falls are located just up the trail and then via a short walk along the Falls Spur Trail. Visiting the Upper Falls adds about .20 miles to the journey. Ultimately, to visit both falls, a 1.54-mile one-way hike is required. The elevation gain is 988 feet.
- Height: 135 feet in total (Gem Pool Lower Falls are about 35 feet and upper falls drop 100 feet)
- Type: Plunges, horsetails, and cascades
- Water Source: Ammonoosuc River
- Swimming: Good at the Gem Pool
Ammonoosuc Ravine Location
- Park: White Mountain National Forest
- Address: Base Station Road
- Town: Sargents Purchase
- State: New Hampshire
- Gem Pool Falls: 44.267500, -71.326840
- Upper Falls: 44.266250, -71.324740
- Parking Notes: Parking is available at the Marshfield Base Station at the end of Base Station Road.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions:
There are no reviews yet.