Lower Purgatory Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in Lyndeborough, New Hampshire. The waterfall has a total height of 15 feet and can be found along Purgatory Brook. The brook flows strongest during spring when the snow melts and after heavy rainstorms. Although it is best to explore the waterfall in the spring, Lower Purgatory Falls is a great spot to visit year-round. The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of a plunge and horsetail.
Accessing the waterfall is relatively easy. The waterfall is located in the Purgatory Falls Conservation Area which features a well-marked trail system. Visitors can park along Purgatory Road and then hike 0.6 miles out-and-back to the falls. The waterfall trail is family-friendly and a great way to get some hiking in. Dogs are also allowed on the route and through the entirety of the park.
- Height: 15 feet
- Type: Plunge and horsetail
- Water source: Purgatory Brook
- Swimming: Poor
Lower Purgatory Falls Location
- Park: Purgatory Falls Conservation Area
- Address: Purgatory Road
- Town: Lyndeborough
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: Lat 42.85956 Lng -71.700019
- Parking Notes: There is a small dirt parking lot located just off Purgatory Road at the trailhead to the waterfall. This lot can hold about 10 cars. There is also room for about 8 cars to park along the road.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE