Stepped Falls is a beautiful roadside waterfall located in Ellsworth, New Hampshire. The waterfall has a total height of 30 feet and it can be found along Brown Brook. Brown Brook is a pretty seasonal water source. It flows strongest during the spring and also after heavy rainstorms.
The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of horsetails and cascades. There are two beautiful tiers that add to the character of the falls. At the base, there is a small pool, but it is not very good for swimming. The lower falls are the main falls, but there are also small upper falls about 0.2 miles upstream. When Brown Brook is not flowing strongly, the waterfall is very lackluster.
Accessing the waterfall is super easy considering it can be seen right from the roadside. There is a small parking area on Stinson Lake Road for visitors to the falls. It should be noted that the road is not paved or well-maintained. During the winter, the road is closed. It is best to visit between May and November to ensure accessibility.
Looking for more great waterfalls to explore? Check out the full NH waterfall list!
- Height: 30-foot total drop
- Type: Horsetails and cascades
- Water Source: Brown Brook
- Swimming: Fair
Stepped Falls Location
- Park: None
- Address: Stinson Lake Road
- Town: Ellsworth
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: 43.889542, -71.793644
- Parking Notes: Parking is available right in front of the lower/main falls along Stinson Lake Road. The road is not paved or well-maintained. It is also closed during the winter.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE