Thirteen Falls, also known as 13 Falls, is a beautiful and extremely remote waterfall in Franconia, New Hampshire. In fact, it is the most remote waterfall in New Hampshire listed on GoXplr. The waterfall itself drops over 150 feet and it can be found along Franconia Brook. Franconia Brook flows strongest during spring when the snow thaws. Considering the water flow is often excellent in the spring, the months of March, April, and May are recommended for visitors hoping to see Thirteen Falls at peak conditions. That said, the waterfall is a great spot to visit year-round.
The waterfall itself drops in a unique formation consisting of plunges, horsetails, and cascades. There are over 5 district falls that Thirteen Falls is comprised of. At the base of these falls are beautiful pools. Several of them are outstanding for swimming. After the hike required to reach the waterfall, visitors often need a quick dip to refresh!
Accessing the waterfall is no easy task. The waterfall is located in the White Mountain National Forest
which features a well-marked and well-maintained trail system. Visitors can park at the Lincoln Woods Parking Lot and then hike 8 miles to the falls. The trail is not easy. Ultimately, the out-and-back trail is 16 miles and features 1,155 feet of elevation gain. It is rated as hard. Although the hike is extremely tough for one single day, there is an option to take a break at one of the tent sites along the trail. The 13 Falls Tent Site is conveniently located just steps from the falls. Learn more about the camp site on the Appalachian Mountain Club website.
Additionally, while making the journey to the waterfall, be sure to check out Franconia Falls which is 3.3 miles from the trailhead.
- Height: Drops over 150 feet in total (There are about 5 primary falls with the tallest being 20 feet)
- Type: Plunges, horsetails, and cascades
- Water Source: Franconia Brook
- Swimming: Outstanding at several of the pools
Thirteen Falls Location
- Park: White Mountain National Forest
- Address: Kancamagus Highway
- Town: Franconia
- State: New Hampshire
- GPS: 44.164520, -71.595620
- Parking Notes: The Lincoln Woods Parking Lot is very large. It can hold about 200 cars. A small parking fee is charged at a self-serve kiosk. If you have an America The Beautiful Pass, parking is free.
- Parking Directions: HERE
- Location Directions: HERE